Pages

Monday, October 3, 2016

Iola Goulton Reviews THE SENATOR'S YOUNGEST DAUGHTER by Kelley Rose Waller

Iola Goulton Reviews THE SENATOR'S YOUNGEST DAUGHTER by Kelley Rose Waller

Book Description:

Senator A.C. McFerren has been missing for more than six months. The obvious prime suspect in his disappearance is the homegrown terrorist group known as the Army of Social Justice.

Searching for her kidnapped father leads Brenna McFerren Jefferson to the terrorists’ elusive “Death of Government” headquarters, known as The Doghouse. But nosing around where the federal government won’t investigate puts a target on her family and sets in motion a rebellion she isn’t prepared to lead.

Dreams of liberty cause the Senator’s daughter to disguise herself for undercover recon, recruit a high-ranking defector, and partner with a subversive news agency that combats government propaganda. As Brenna’s strength and family ties are tested, she unites a political party that commands the power to transform the United States.

My Review:

The Senator’s Youngest Daughter gets off to a powerful start, introducing us to the ‘new’ USA, and to Brenna being chased by a gang of unknown assailants. It then gets a little shaky—there are a lot of characters and a lot of back story to introduce, and that did get a little confusing. But once I sorted out who was who among the government, the Army of Social Justice, the Versives and the Litants, it got a lot easier to read.

I could also have found the start a little shaky because the novel is written in first person (which I usually enjoy) present tense (which, while I usually enjoy it, I also always find it takes me a while to get into it). There were also a few odd phrases, like “I think” which didn’t seem necessary given the first person viewpoint.

No matter.

Once I found my way into the story, it was rip-roaring good suspense as Brenna and her family attempt to rescue first their kidnapped father, then rescue their country from the hands of a power-crazed dictator (who proves a dictator is a dictator. Left, right, centre. The politics don’t matter. What matters is the power, and their willingness not to allow law or civil liberties to get in their way).

The novel explores a USA where much of the battle is being fought in the media, both official and underground. It’s also a USA where religion has been effectively banned, although this isn’t explored as much as the political differences, were right becomes wrong and everyone who opposes the President is labelled a terrorist (and made to look like one in the official media).

Brenna is an interesting narrator. She’s bright, beautiful and talented, but doesn’t necessarily know her own value. Fortunately, her husband is there to reinforce her strong points and make up for her weak points (great example of a marriage, although I’m sure we’re all happy not to be in the situation Brenna is in!).

Overall, an enjoyable suspense read—and it’s well worth the effort of persevering even if you get a little confused in the beginning.

Thanks to the author for providing a free ebook for review.
About Reviewer Iola Goulton:


I am a freelance editor specializing in Christian fiction, and you can find out more about my services at my website, or follow me on FacebookTwitterPinterest or Tsu .

I love reading, and read and review around 150 Christian books each year on my blog. I'm a Top 25 Reviewer at Christian Book, in the Top 1% of reviewers at Goodreads, and have an Amazon US Reviewer Rank that floats around 2500 (and I'm in the Top 50 at Amazon Australia).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting and sharing your thoughts! Your comment will show up soon!